Friday, January 27, 2017

On a Whim: Apple Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins


This week I had the need for a snack during the week that was a little more than picking a piece of fruit from my fridge and heading back to work.  Something that was going to be a little heartier, something that used the fruit, and something that held me over a little longer.  I knew what fruits and ingredients I had to choose from and I figured I knew enough about the basics of baking and ended up with these beauties!

They are pretty tasty and made a full 12 muffins so there were plenty to get me through the week.  I decided last minute to make a simple glaze/drizzle/icing to make them a little more decadent.  



These are made with healthy ingredients and are totally guilt free (a little icing never hurt anyone!)






I would have pictures of what I did, step by step, but let this be a PSA: when you eject your SD card wrong while transferring photos to your computer, you end up loosing all those photos.

So, here is what I did

Ingredients:
2 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
2-3 tbsp peanut butter
3 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups oats
1 1/2 cups whole grain flour
1 medium apple, diced

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together the bananas, brown sugar, eggs, peanut butter, and honey until well combined.

Step 2: Add in the dry ingredients, baking powder, baking soda, oats, flour, and diced apple.  Mix until combined but be sure to not over mix.

Step 3: Divide mixture into muffin pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.  

Step 4: Let cool on a cooling rack.

Step 5: Top with any icing you want!  I just made a basic vanilla drizzle with about 1-2 tbsp milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 3 cups confectioners' sugar.  If your icing is too think add just a tiny bit of milk, or if it's too runny, add more confectioners' sugar. 

ENJOY!

1 comment: