Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Apartment Christmas Decor


When storage is low but the desire to decorate for each season is high you have to make as much impact as you can with what you have.

My landlords are quite particular about what I have in my apartment.  More so than any other landlords I have had in the past.  It is interesting and actually it is a very delicate balance between keeping them happy and my love for Pinterest and all things Christmas.

My father and brother are my landlords and have recently purchased the condo I live in which is why my situation is so unique.  Over the last few months they have been decorating the apartment piece by piece.  I should also mention that they live in Virginia while I am here in Mississippi.  It has been tricky decorating from afar but with modern technology we make it work.  Throughout my first few weeks I noticed I was a few items shy when taking inventory and decorating the new place.  (Hmm...I wonder what, or who, could have happened to my things).  I was also given strict orders to throw unnecessary items out.  After 12 bags donated to Salvation Army I was still being told to get rid of things and go through my clothes.  Sigh.  This is what I'm up against.

I have been allowed a big green storage container of Christmas decorations that stays in the guest room closet.  In it contain a few items that I have purchased over the years.  My first piece of advice, shop Christmas home decor on Black Friday or the after Christmas.  Find things that are classic and of course, on sale!

Here is what I have done with my apartment...


Its a fake tree but it has held up for 5+ years and my tree skirt is just a blanket I had lying around.  It reminds me of a Charlie Brown Christmas!


Adding pops of red and green!


Luckily, Ole Miss's colors are red and blue which go perfectly with any seasonal decor, but especially Christmas.




I've added a variety of ornaments to my Christmas tree including two sizes of lights.

Some of these things I have gotten at local home decor boutiques and some have come from Pinterest (the car and tree pillow case).  But, over the years I have collected and I think for my little pace it all comes together quite nicely! 

5 comments:

  1. I love all these Christmas ideas! As a baller on a budget I too move at a slow pace in gathering new Christmas items! Thanks for the tip to check sales on Black Friday! I've only bought Christmas presents on Black Friday, not decor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part of getting christmas decorations on Black Friday is that you can use them right away! Also, there are these cute little mom and pop antique shops in VA and they seem to always have Christmas stuff in their sale sections. Even in June it seems like. Those are the best places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the old days, the day after Christmas was the best day to stock up on Christmas decorations. But they didn't put them out as early as now! The only thing is you have to pack them up and wait a year, but then the great surprise when uncovering the new ornaments you got at a bargain last year. I love your apartment decorations. Interesting Christmas trees on that shelf ! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your apartment looks very Christmas-y! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the decorations! So festive 🎄

    ReplyDelete