Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Jesus Calling by Sarah Young December 14th 2016

December 14, 2016

I work at a doctors office and like every other doctor’s office, we schedule appointments.  In the morning around 11:30, I pull patient charts for the afternoon and organize them by appointment time.  In the afternoon around 4:30, I pull more patient charts for the next morning and organize them by appointment time.  Throughout the day, our office manager will answer the phone and without a doubt every time she picks up the phone I will hear "yeah, come on this way, we will work you in”.  I HAD a perfect plan for how I was going to make it through the afternoon with everyone being seen on time, which room they will be seen in, and how each patient will get their therapy.  Now, I don't. 

This week I needed to return some items, and thought, while I am on that side of town, I would run into a couple stores and get Christmas gifts while they were on sale.  I planned on leaving straight from the office, hitting the first, second, then third store and bam, I'm home.  I returned the items, no problem.  Store #2 did not have what I needed.  No biggie, I have a back up.  I run to the back up store which didn't have a thing that sparks my interest or on sale.  Store #3 has the item but the sale ended yesterday... Not to mention, my hanger (Hunger + anger) is looming.

Most mornings, as I am heading out the door, I take a quick photo of the daily devotional on my phone to make sure.  I'm not the kind of person to rush to work in the mornings just to get there in the knick of time.  My idea of rushing to work is to get there at least 40 minutes early. I enjoy spending this time to myself.  It is in these minutes I open up the office, check messages, make photo copies, file charts away, and read the devotional. I'm not sure why, but I feel like reading the devotional at work allows me to pray in a place that can bring so much frustration, anxiety, and chaos.  Sometimes throughout the day, I will remember standing in a certain place only hours before reading the devotional, and can at least spend another couple seconds praying. The world seems to calm if for just a bit.

What would happen if I didn't worry about getting the charts organized for the day?  What would happen if I didn't rush to work to get so many things done without people around?  What would happen if I took a second to look around me and see all the festive Christmas decoration in all the stores this time of year, and allow myself to be inspired?  What would happen if I allowed myself to not dictate each second of my day and let things happen while I simply tried to help people?

It is amazing to think what God can do in your life and how much meaning He can bring into your day-to-day life.  It is easy for me (and I assume everyone) that little unexpected and unpleasant things can grow into a big problem. But maybe if I would have let Him guide me through the day, I would have found something other than frustration, irritation, and hanger.  Maybe I would have had the patience to truly connect with each patient.  Though I try to remind myself throughout the day to walk with Him and depend on Him continually, it is very easy to get carried away and not think of all the things He has given me. 


I have seen Him work in my life time and time again in big ways that led me to where I am now.  Why won't I let him work in small ways too?




1 comment: